STEM Positions – Welcome our two new STEM Teachers –Susan Steiner at Macon Middle School and Gloria Painter at Mountain View Intermediate School. Curriculum support and career/continued education focus.
- Engineering Design Process
- Project Based Learning
- Community Partnerships
STEM Nights– If your school is interested in participating, please let me know asap so I can get a date on the calendar.
- MVI – Nov. 7th
- EFE – Jan. 16th 2020
STEM Coffeehouse – middle and high school – will start in October and is after school at the FROGS headquarters. Flyers will be posted at school and a text/email will be sent for advertising. Guest speakers discuss careers and conduct an activity related to the career.
Oct. 7th – Mycelial Mass Mushroom Meetup Engage with a community of fungi lovers who are dedicated to the study and cultivation of mycoflora and share strains, cultivation techniques, and customized agar recipes. Watch pros like Alan Rockefeller DNA sequence new species of mushroom, or jumpstart new cultured varieties of edible and medicinal mushrooms from liquid cultures, agar plates, grow bags, or wild specimens. Learn to use mycelium to make physical objects like bowls and cups, mycofabrics, and biodegradable packing materials.
Oct. 14th – Women in STEM with Aerospace Engineer and Mathematician
Science/Math oriented field trips and outreach programs – please let teachers know that I have several field trip options/contacts and possible funding support.
- Highlands Biological Station/Highlands Nature Center/Highlands Outreach
- The Bascom Gallery
- NC Arboretum
- Young Harris Planetarium
- Fontana Regional Library
Discovery Education – We have the Math Techbook license for MMS, FHS and MEC for two more years. We also have Discovery Education streaming for one more school year. Please encourage teachers to take advantage of these resources. They can access through NCIAM Discovery Education icon.
Professional Development related to STEM- http://www.macon.k12.nc.us/stem/registration-for-programs/
- I am posting PD opportunities on the website from NCCAT, The Science House and other local providers. If teachers ask for PD, please refer them to the STEM website – macon.k12.nc.us/STEM
- CREW is September 30th (Monday). I have funds for 6 teachers and will be handling the registration for teachers to attend. Please let me know if you plan to allow teachers to use local school PD funds for this event.
- Additional PD needs? org? Literacy in STEM? STEM Strategies in Macon share session? Please let me know what your teachers need and we will see if we can get it scheduled and sub pay funded.
NC Science Festival is the month of April – the theme is STEM for ALL. I will be planning events for the NC Science Festival in Macon County (Examples – Earth Day Celebration, Duke Energy Science Night (grant), guest speakers, star gazing night for public).
Grants: Currently receiving funding from
- NASA for NASA related curriculum activities (materials, PD, field trips).
- STEM-E (until end of September and then we hope to be renewed for next year). If renewed we will have funding for professional development, materials and STEM Nights or other community related STEM events. This grant also funds the STEM-E clubs at almost all the schools. This involves the fall STEM Student Conferences (Elementary is Oct. 18th, Middle is September 6 and High is September 5).
- Community STEM Donations – some folks from the community have contributed funds to support specific events (Muddy Sneakers at MVI, Robotics). These funds are also used for materials and for some professional development support (CREW).
5th – 8th grade will have robotics as part of their STEM classes. It will be determined in early 2020 if we will be forming teams and competing at the local level.
9th – 12th grade Macon Bots will be meeting twice a month in the Fall and once a week in the Spring semester. We are not participating in the FIRST competition this year but will be building a robot on our own to donate to the community (SWAT team possibility). There is room on this team to join and we meet at the STEM Space at the business park.
Makerspaces in Media Centers – EFE, SME, Highlands School – please let me know if your media specialist is interested in developing a Makerspace. We are working on putting “rotating activities” in the spaces to share across schools.
Please contact me if you have any questions!