Volunteering for Robotics!
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering for one of our teams. Macon County Schools requires a volunteer application and background check for adults to work with our students. You will also need to fill out a volunteer application with FIRST. The necessary documents are attached below.
Instructions to register with FIRST.
- Visit https://www.firstinspires.org/
- Login to your FIRST Dashboard – top RHS of website (if you had a VIMS or other FIRST account last year, use that login. If you do not have an account click on “sign up” to create one.)
- If you are signing up for the first time at some point in the setting up your profile procedure you will need to do YPP screening, FIRST is happy to pay.
- If this is your first time on your dashboard this year be sure to complete the annual consent and release form.
- Click on the horizontal tab, VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION.
- Click on EVENT VOLUNTEERING button.
- Select “FLL” and “North Carolina” from the search menu
- Locate your desired event.
- Click on VOLUNTEER button for that event.
- On the Volunteer Application, select the correct role from the Roles – if you are a team volunteer please select “assign as needed” if you are a judge just select the judging role you prefer –
- Click next and finish the volunteer application form.
- Thank you !!
The Macon County FIRST Robotics Competition Team has a name!
FIRST Lego League Tournament
December 2, 2017
Cherokee Central Schools
Mountain View and Macon Middle will have a bus leaving from each school at approximately 6:00 AM. The bus will return after the tournament around 6:00 PM. Parents who wish to attend the tournament are encouraged to attend from 12:30 – 5:00. This is the time of the robot run. The morning sessions are closed judging sessions for the project, robot design and FLL Core Values/Teamwork. Parents and coaches are not allowed to attend these closes judging sessions.
Save the Date! March 15th
2017 -2018 Robotics Opportunities!
Macon County Robotics Calendar
Is your child interested in joining one of the Macon County Robotics Teams? Here is some helpful information to get you started.
Macon County Robotics is a competitive team sport for grades 5th – 12th in Macon County. We use First Lego League programs for 5th – 8th grade and First Robotics Competition for 9th – 12th grade students. Students are expected to be respectful and safe and may be dismissed from a team due to behavior.
Currently (2017), Macon County Schools has 7 teams – MVI (3), MMS (2), Highlands (1), Nantahala (1) with Union (1 team in training for next year).
First Lego League Calendar
- Early April – Applications made available to all rising 5th – rising 8th grade students. Information will be sent home via Connect Ed, flyers and posted on the website macon.k12.nc.us/STEM.
- Early May – Application will be due to the front office of each school. Students will be contacted by mid-May if they have been accepted onto a team. Applications must be complete and be answered by the child (parents may assist with handwriting and proofing but the child should be answering the questions in their own words).
- Early July – Lego Kits and Team registration is due.
- Early August – Teams will be contacted by coaches to discuss meeting times/days of the week. Adjustments can be made if team coach is meeting on a day that is not available for students.
- Mid-August – Lego Kits arrive at schools and coaches are given updated information about season.
- Late August – FLL releases challenge and project videos and information.
- Mid to late August – Students begin meeting with teams and working on challenges.
- October – Teams register for regional tournament
- August – December – Teams may participate in scrimmages or opportunities for presenting their projects in preparation for the tournament. Field trip may also be involved to help understand the given problem for the project component.
- Early December – Regional Tournament! This is an all-day affair! Plan to arrive early (7:00 AM) and leave around 6:00 pm. This is the day we have been working toward so be sure you are ready!
- Mid-January – Teams that place for State competition will compete in Greensboro, NC to go to the National Competition.
- Feb-Mar – National Competition
- FLL Robotics Application 2017-2018
First Robotics Challenge Calendar (9th – 12th grade)
- Mid-September – Informational meeting and team recruitment – Applications accepted Sept – Oct.
- Late-October – Teams begin meeting and training
- – Challenge released for 2018
- Jan-March – 6 weeks of building
- March/April – Tournament in Asheville
- Future Tournament TBD
FRC Registration for Team
High School Robotics
Macon County First Robotics Competition (FRC) Team Sign-up
All Macon County High School students 9th – 12th grade are eligible
Macon County is starting our first high school robotics team this year. The team of 10-50 students along with 3-6 mentors and coaches will design and build a 150 lb. robot in an industrial workshop! This year we will be partnering with local business and industry to guide us through to the tournament in Asheville this Spring 2018. Learn electrical and mechanical engineering, computer programming, fundraising and entrepreneurship skills while making new friends and making new connections in our community!
This is open to ALL Macon County 9th-12th grade students!
Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult field game against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team. Each season ends with an exciting FIRST Championship.
Do you know you are already interested? Please go to https://goo.gl/forms/mRKO16EpyKt1IoeS2 to register for the team. For more information, please contact Jennifer Love at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-524-3314.
*** We are also looking for adult/parent/community mentors to help with the team – if you are interested, please sign up with link above.***
Information attached about the program –
For even more information, go to https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/frc
FLL Hydrodynamics problems released!
Check out the challenges here!
Thank you Macon Aero Club! What an exciting day! We appreciate all of the support from the FLY-IN Fundraiser which supports Macon County Robotics!
Check out these great videos from Backlot Cinema from the 2016/2017 Animal Allies SMART Robotics Tournament at Cherokee Central Schools.
If you would like more information about First Lego League in Macon County, please contact Jennifer Love at email@example.com.